Thursday, March 14, 2013

Welcome to the World Wyatt

Sorry I have not posted for a while! Life has definitely been busy. :)

I am very excited for this post. This is Wyatt's birth story. (long overdue) 

I was very excited to meet this person who has been living inside me. Who wouldn't be? This person who has been growing in your belly for the past nine months.
Two weeks before my due date I had my doctors appointment. What I found out was such a shock to me! As my doctor was checking me she told me that I was already dilate at 3. I was just in shock. A 3?! I couldn't feel anything going on down there! (which I was happy about, just surprised) The next week at my appointment she checked me once again and this time I was dilated at a 4! When she told me this I was so excited. I couldn't believe it. I made all this progress without so much as knowing. I had had no contractions.
I asked my doctor when they would typically admit someone who had progressed like I had and she told me that she would admit a patient when they were in active labor or dilated at 5. When she said that I was kinda disappointed. I really just wanted to have my baby already. I didn't want to wait anymore. (I can say now that I'm glad I waited. With my remaining time I SLEPT) While at my appointment we did discuss the option of inducing me. I was more than happy. I didn't think that I would go into labor..and I didn't. She talked to me about the risks involved and I told her that this was something that I wanted. I felt I needed. So later that day the hospital called me with my scheduled date. If I didn't go into labor by October 16 then I was scheduled to go in on the 17th at 7 in the morning. Oh. My. Goodness. I was so excited!! I called all of my family to tell them. They were happy as well. :)
When the 16th finally arrived I was getting impatient. I was READY! Every morning before Alex would go into work we would go for a walk around the neighborhood. And halfway I would do curbs. I was just so ready and wanting to go into labor. I never did get that far, but I do believe that the curbs did help me dilate.
That night Alex and I spent the entire evening getting the house ready. I wanted it to be perfect for when Wyatt came home. (and yes I know he wouldn't even know but I didn't care)
The day had finally come. It was time to get up and get ready. I remember for breakfast I had oatmeal and Alex had cereal. Although by the time I was halfway done with my oatmeal I was feeling sick. I was so nervous!! I didn't know what to expect. My mom had called and had met us at our house then followed us to the hospital. (of course I HAD to have my mamma there!) I was early and the nurse had thanked me for that. (my doctor had made sure to tell me to try not to be late because the nurses tend to get mad) I got into my gown and was all settled. After I had signed all the paperwork and was given an IV I was ready to go back to sleep! I was tired.
As embarrassing as this was a nurse had put in a catheter..I remember telling her that I hope she got paid well enough to do that. :) Around nine o'clock my doctor had finally arrived and was going to break my water. She told me that I would feel some warm water...ummmm it felt like a waterfall!! (sorry if that's too graphic for you) but I was surprised by how warm it was. Of course you have to keep that little one inside you warm! After she broke my water I swear just a few minutes later I started feeling the contractions. And hell. They. Were. Painful!! Oh my gosh. It was horrible. Big props to women who go without the epidural. Because I surely was not one of those women! While I was having these awful contractions a nurse had come in to talk to me about a study they were doing. Simply the put a device on the baby's head to get a better picture of how the birthing process is. In return for participating they would give me a box of diapers. So I said yes. I think the only time I ever felt annoyed with anyone was when the nurse kept talking and I was in pain. It seemed every time she opened her mouth I would get a contraction. It took FOREVER to get her to explain everything. As soon as she had finished with her speal I sure as hell did get that epidural.
When the anesthesiologist came in I was scared. I was shaking so bad they had to wait for me to calm down before they could do anything. After I got the epidural and it finally kicked in I was one happy girl. I slept. And slept. And slept. It wasn't until around noon that I remember being checked and hearing the nurse say "where's her cervix?" I honestly didn't understand at that moment. Until she told me I was fully dilated and ready to start pushing. That's when the nerves started setting in again.
Okay do you realize how freaking hard it is to push when you can't feel a dang thing?! Let me just tell you. It's hard. Like all the pressure your supposed to be putting down there is all up in your face. When I hit the two hour mark that's when my doctor mentioned using tools to help me or a c-section. All I was thinking was hell no. I could do this on my own and I would. And I did. About 15 minutes later Wyatt was finally here.
When they put him on my chest I was just in shock. Here is this little being that was just inside me. And now here he is, laying on my chest.

Wyatt Alexander Kepano Littlewood made his arrival on October 17, 2012 at 3:12 pm weighing 7lbs 12oz and 19 in a half inches long.











No comments:

Post a Comment